Tuesday, February 17, 2009

The pool

I live right behind a recreation centre. Talk about convenience! I can out the back door and be there in three minutes flat, also convenient is the fact that there is an adult swim or a lanes swim almost every night and on Saturday. So that gives me lots of opportunity to gets some exercise in.

I am not a fan of going to the public swims because of all the kids, and their comments, as innocent or not so innocent as they may be. At least adults keep their observations to themselves (at least most of them). I have gone to the daytime swim on my days off, but since the rec centre is attached to a middle school, the students are sharing the change room. They usually glance over in horror and the old ladies and us fat ones. The last time I went during the day one of the girls let it slip "oh my god! look how fat she is" and one of her friends shushed her. I was tempted to say " This is your future..." But I wouldn't want to be responsible for anyone developing anorexia and remained adult pretending not to hear.

I mean I consider it pretty amazing that I appear in a bathing suit in public! I figure people are too busy trying not to drown to be looking at me. And I am too busy making sure nothing is floating out of my suit.

No comments: