Tuesday, February 8, 2011

The ring test

I still wear my graduation ring from high school. It has been over 10 years now since I graduated and I have thought about no longer wearing it. It is the only jewelery I wear except when it comes to special occasions (it is just not practical in my daily work life). It is stone in the center is getting awfully chipped up and it's not even that pretty of a ring. I keep it on for two main reasons: 1) a relative bought it for me, and it is one of the few connections I ever had to that person 2) I can do the ring test whenever I want to.

What is the ring test? well it's pretty simple, if I can easily get it on and off my finger I know I am doing pretty good weight wise. When I wake up on weigh in day it is one of the first things I do, if I can't get it off the finger a gain will occur, (thank you water retention) however if I can chances are good i will have lost. It's more accurate then the groundhog on Feb 2. I guess it is becoming a bit of a habit slipping the ring on and off during the day, it is a little instant validation of all my hard work. I remember a time when I didn't take it off, just because it felt like I was trying to rip my finger off at the same time. But now it comes off with little effort.

Maybe I will reward myself with a new ring one of these days, maybe at the 80 lbs down mark. By then hopefully I will be having a hard time keeping my grad ring on.

No comments: