Friday, November 14, 2008

Missing out

I am a pretty recreational active person despite my obesity, I go walking, swimming, go out to social events, movies. On a whole my policy is to not stop myself from doing something because I am fat, even though I am naturally a shy person and sometimes have to force myself. But there are always those instances where I just know that I can't join in on this activity, or do something physical, it just isn't going to work.

Of course it's always something I would love to do, or that may be difficult to excuse myself from without getting into the reasons why. I just know that I do have physical limitations and I have caused them myself.

I found out today that some of my co-workers are organizing a trail ride for all interested parties. I love horses! I love riding! I haven't been on a horse in more then 10 years because I don't want to kill the horse! I also always had an issue with mounting since an injury to my knee. So not only am I going to miss out on an activity I would love, I will miss out on the socialization with my co-workers in a non work setting.

According to this article on the weight watchers site:

http://www.weightwatchers.com/util/art/index_art.aspx?tabnum=1&art_id=59481&sc=3039


There is no set upper limit for the rider's weight a horse can carry, but a lot of riding schools will place weight limits so their horses are not injured or overworked. But better to be safe then sorry, I would never want to inadvertently injure an animal, its not like when you sit on a chair and break it, that's embarrassing. Imagine breaking a horse, I don't think I could show my face at work again, or outside my door for that matter. Most riding schools seem to range from about 220-250 lbs as the maximum weight allowed. So lets say I lose 10 lbs a month (wishing and hoping) then maybe the earliest I could start horseback riding would be a year from now ( I totally should not have figured that out! that is more depressing then encouraging!)

I am trying not to dwell on all the things miss due to my body, but to currently enjoy the things I can do. Another good reason to continue on....

No comments: