Monday, November 8, 2010

Cut the cord, the cable cord that is

I have been completely without cable for 2 1/2 months now. And I have to say, I love it. Now I still love to watch television programs but I am pretty much streaming them all online now. Most of the TV stations have websites where they stream their shows anyways, I may have to wait a few days until they are posted but I can handle that. I am really enjoying not having to be tethered at home during a certain time. I used to never leave the house Thursday nights from 9 pm on, the whole Greys Anatomy then ER combo, in fact people dared not phone me during that time (if they did it was a very unresponsive conversation; "uh huh, yeah, okay see you then" sort of thing). Now I head to the pool that night and watch Grey's on the weekend. Actually almost all my TV catching up is now done on the weekends freeing my weekday evenings up for other activities.

It also has really reduced my channel surfing habit, where I ended up just watching whatever was on or re watching something I have already seen ten times. My programme watching is much more focused now. The only thing I am worried about is how much bandwidth I am using these days. I will really have to check that out.

Overall I am probably watching less TV now. I have replaced that time with more physical activities but not all, still working on it, and the big bad Internet pulls me in a lot.

No comments: