Thursday, January 13, 2011

Goals and Timelines

At the gym a lot of the forms I had to fill out asked for my goals and the timeline that needed to be met. As for timeline, I told them that there was no timeline, I lose this weight when I lose it, and that raised a few eyebrows. Apparently I should be in a rush, some event I must be thin by. But I have no looming wedding, or high school reunion, I just wish to become healthy.

Over the last few months I have been very leery on even stating a number I wish to lose in a week, month or year. Being afraid that I may put to much pressure on myself, and when I am unable to perform up to that standard I would feel failure and quit.

However on my first post of the New Year, I said I would like to lose 100 lbs by the dawn of 2012. That is a huge number, one that would bring me down to 233 lbs. But I'm still afraid. Afraid of failure, disappointment, continuation of my unhealthy lifestyle. Gaining back the 51 lbs I have already lost. But I am biting the bullet and stating that I am going to lose 100 lbs in 2011.

So I thought I would break it into smaller more manageable goals. For each quarter of the year my goal is to lose 25 lbs. That is an average of 1.9 lbs per week. See manageable. And now in the first 2 weeks of the year I have already lost 5 lbs.

I do have a slightly higher goal in mind for the first quarter of the year. I would like to be under 300 lbs by my birthday. To do that I will need to lose 2.5 lbs per week.

No comments: