Sunday, January 9, 2011

You are now leaving the comfort zone

I'm not really ready for this excursion into the gym world. It was in my grand scheme of things eventually, maybe when I had lost 100 lbs or more, until then I was planing on sticking to the pool and walking trails, and maybe graduate to the mountain brow stairs. It was always going to be "someday" I will join a gym. While today was that day, and I still feel really uneasy about it. My friend had negotiated with the gym previously for memberships for her family getting them to knock off up front fees etc, and she was nice enough to include me in the negotiations, I was able to join as a previous client even though I have never been there before. We were supposed to go together but due to an emergency I had to brave it alone. I had to answer a questionnaire asking questions like my weight, my fitness goals etc, I received the tour, and their additional services sale pitch which I declined. As we were touring I seriously wanted to shrivel up or throw on an invisibility cloak. As we walked into each room people automatically look up, and I could feel their eyes on me, ugh it was enough to make me want to throw up.

I really need to get over this anxiety. No one is looking at you, No one cares, and if they think oh my god another New year recruit, February dropout well screw 'em . It doesn't matter, you are here for you. I think I may be spending a lot of time in the section of the gym reserved for women only, I may be more comfortable there.

The Gym provides a fitness assessment, Which I will be doing later in the week, apparently there will be a lot of measuring going on and then some sort of 5 min cardio, which I will not do all that great on.

Ahh what have I gotten myself into???

No comments: